AS PRIME Minister Boris Johnson announces his new negotiated Brexit deal with the European Union, support comes from Reading Conservative candidate.
Craig Morley, Conservative parliamentary candidate for Reading East said: “Boris has been Prime Minister for 85 days. When he took over, everyone said it would be impossible to get a new deal and get Brussels to retreat. He’s pulled it off.
“This is the best Brexit deal for Reading East – this is a real Brexit deal which ensures that we take back control.
“I am fully behind the Prime Minister and urge Members of Parliament to vote for the deal on Saturday in order to Get Brexit Done.
“The people of Reading East are ultimately democrats, who respect the national democratic vote in 2016 and want to see Brexit done so we can move on to the people’s priorities – cutting crime and putting more police on the streets in Reading, greater funding for local schools, rebuilding the Royal Berkshire hospital, getting the Third Thames Bridge built and tackling congestion.”
If approved, the deal will see the UK leave the EU on Thursday, October 31.
The key points in the new deal:
- Britain will be out of all EU laws. The UK will be able to change laws across a number of areas – from product standards to fishing rules to farming subsidies – which are currently controlled by the EU.
- Britain will be able to agree free trade deals. The UK will have an unqualified right to strike trade deals around the world, and the whole UK will participate in them.
- European Court supremacy ends in Britain. It will be UK courts, applying UK laws, becoming the highest authority in the country.
- Britain will be in control of taxes. The UK will be able to change VAT rules and other tax laws that are currently determined by the EU.
- Northern Ireland will be in the UK customs territory forever. The deal will ensure that Northern Ireland remains part of the UK’s customs territory and will benefit from the free trade deals agreed.
- The anti-democratic backstop will be abolished. The people of Northern Ireland will be in charge of the laws that they live by and will have the right to end the special arrangement if they so choose.
Craig Morley added: “Boris has forced Brussels to re-open the deal – something many said was impossible. He’s ensured Britain will no longer be bound by EU laws and taxes – something many said was impossible.
“He’s ended the supremacy of the European Court in Britain – something many said was impossible. And he’s removed the backstop and ensured that the people of Northern Ireland are in control of the laws they live by – something many said was impossible.”