Banbury Litho Floodlit Cup: Sumas progress while Kestrels exit cup

Wokingham & Emmbrook v Chipping Sodbury Town Wokingham's second goal

Wokingham & Emmbrook progressed through to the next round after Dean’s decisive goal, while Woodley United were beaten 3-0 by Chalvey Sports.

Didcot Town Development 0-1 Wokingham & Emmbrook

Wokingham & Emmbrook goalkeeper Sean Woodward made a vital save early in the game as he bravely dove at the strikers feet to prevent Didcot from taking the lead. 

Josh Harris then began to start threatening the Didcot defence as he progressed on a solo run before seeing his shot pushed behind for a corner. 

The Sumas were beginning to gain control in the match and create a number of chances, going close after Harris fired a rebound from White’s driven free-kick just wide of the post, shortly after White was thwarted by the Didcot goalkeeper. 

Wokingham’s pressure on the Didcot defence eventually told as they deservedly opened the scoring before half-time. Dean, who was brought in as a late substitute in the warm up to replace the injured Eagle, rose to meet Carter’s cross and head past the goalkeeper. 

Didcot made it to the break just one goal down rather fortunately after White’s header flew inches over the crossbar .

Both sides created chances in the second half as Harris’ corner found Bateman who struck just wide on the volley, before the Sumas escaped a Didcot equaliser after a mix up in defence. 

The home side pushed hard to find a leveller as they found a resurgence after the half-time break as Woodward made a couple of vital saves to contain Didcot’s attack. 

But the Sumas resilient efforts in defence saw them safely through to the next round as Dean’s goal proved to be the decider in the contest. 

Sumas: Woodward, Carter (c). Cummuskey, Dean, O’Connell, Byrne, Edwards, Harris, Bateman, Scope, White.
Subs: Day, Rushforth, Broadhurst.

Chalvey Sports 3-0 Woodley United

Woodley created the first big chance of the game as a long range free-kick flashed past the Chalvey goal. 

But it was the hosts who took the lead after 27 minutes. A well worked corner routine caught Woodley out as a low corner was hit first time past the Kestrels goalkeeper to open the scoring. 

The Kestrels then came inches away from levelling the game just five minutes after Chalvey had taken the lead but struck the post. 

Woodley’s frustrations would continue after the break as they had the ball in the back of the net only for it be disallowed for offside after Danny Blatchford thought he had equalised.

Chalvey punished Woodley on the break after the visitors had streamed forward in search of an equaliser and doubled their lead in the 87th minute. Chalvey then sealed their place in the next round by scoring a third just a minute later to finish the tie. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.