The Wokingham Paper

Binfield FC continue Floodlit Cup defence in dramatic Brimscombe clash

Charley Tuttle e
Charley Tuttle scored the winning penalty

CHARLEY TUTTLE stroked home the winning penalty as Binfield continued the defence of their Floodlit Cup on a dramatic night in Gloucestershire.

The Moles trailed 2-0 and 3-2 in the driving rain at Hellenic Premier Division leaders Brimscombe, only to battle back and force extra time thanks to an Ian Davies brace and Gary Smith strike.

No further goals arrived so it took a penalty shoot-out to decide who would progress into the quarter-finals with Binfield emerging 4-2 victors as Davies, Jemel Johnson, Stephen Peacock and Tuttle all netted while goalkeeper David Lyons saved two of the hosts’ spot kicks.

Ian Davies scored a late equaliser

“Missed that feeling,” said boss Roger Herridge, after his side won for the first time in 2019.

“Lottery of penalties but we got what we deserved, showing great character to come from behind twice.

“Both sides deserve credit for an entertaining game in dreadful conditions.”

Following Binfield’s postponed clash against Longlevens on Saturday due to the wintry weather, it looked like it could be a similar story on Tuesday night.

However, the match passed a pitch inspection and went ahead and Herridge made two changes from the side which drew against Lydney Town last time out as Liam Gavin and Carlo Santoro replaced Liam Baker and Josh Howell.

The first half passed goalless in the wind and rain with the visitors looking the likeliest scorers through Santoro and Johnson.

But it was after the break when the contest sprung into life as Ben Deakin and Sam Blackie both found the net before the hour mark.

However, two goals in three minutes from the Moles levelled up the tie heading into the final 20 minutes with Smith and Davies on target.

Brimscombe quickly restored their lead when James Campbell rose to head home and that looked to be enough until Davies popped up to equalise at the death.

Nick Bateman netted for the Sumas

The extra 30 minutes saw neither side add to their tallies but Binfield were perfect from the spot, scoring all four of their kicks to cancel out successful penalties from Edd Major and Campbell. Lyons then proved his worth by denying Kyle Pitts and Jack Horrell, which gave Tuttle the chance to end the contest.

The two sides will face each other again in the league on Saturday at Hill Farm Lane (3pm) before the Moles make the short trip to Windsor on Tuesday (7.45pm).

BINFIELD: Lyons, Shaw (Shean 75), Gavin, Smith, Tuttle, Knight (c), Horscroft, Santoro (Baker 75), Peacock, Johnson, Davies. Sub not used: Lee. Attendance: 34.

  • In the same competition, WOKINGHAM AND EMMBROOK were edged out 3-2 at Flackwell Heath.

Goals from Nick Bateman and Ellis Day forced extra time at a side who compete a league above the Sumas.

But Flackwell eventually emerged victorious thanks to Leius Sinclair’s strike.

Related posts

CLOSED: Norden Farm to shut tomorrow due to coronavirus

Phil Creighton

BREXIT: Redwood vows to carry on representing Wokingham in wake of its Remain verdict

Phil Creighton

Beehind the bench: Bees in the festive spirit

Andy Preston
0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x