Bracknell woman and homeless man jailed following murder of Zelous Smythe

Oliver Allerton and Victoria Quinton Picture: Thames Valley Police

A BRACKNELL woman and a homeless man has been jailed after he was found guilty of murdering a man in Crowthorne last year.

Zelous Smythe, 27 and from Camberley in Surrey, was found with a single stab wound to the chest and defensive wounds to his forearm and hand in Nine Mile Ride on Monday, November 5. He died at the scene.

On Monday, May 20, at Reading Crown Court, Oliver Allerton, 27 and of no fixed abode, was found guilty of murder and Victoria Quinton, 21, of Priestwood, Bracknell, was found guilty of manslaughter after she was acquitted of a charge of murder.

On Friday, July 12, the pair were sentenced at the Old Bailey: Allerton was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum of 17 years, Quinton was sentenced to seven years.

Zelous died at the scene and Allerton has now been convicted and sentenced for his murder.

Both Allerton, who stabbed Zelous, and Quinton, who was driving the car that collided with the victim and subsequently drove Allerton from the scene at Nine Mile Ride, knew that the victim was seriously injured and made no attempt to call the emergency services.

READ MORE: ‘We pray that everyone thinks about their decision when it comes to picking up a knife’ – family pay tribute to Zelous Smythe

Along with the murder, Allerton has also been convicted of wounding without intent and possession of a knife.

This was in relation to an incident in Reeds Hill, Bracknell, at around 1pm on Saturday, October 6, 2018.

Police said that in this case, the victim, a man in his 20s was assaulted with a knife and sustained cuts to his hands which required treatment.

Senior investigating officer, Detective Inspector Sally Spencer, of the Major Crime Unit, said: “Zelous Smythe lost his life that day following the despicable actions of Oliver Allerton.

“Allerton and Quinton left him on that afternoon in Nine Mile Ride, knowing he was seriously injured, and essentially they both took the decision to leave him to die at the scene of the murder Allerton committed.

“Zelous suffered from defensive wounds to his hand and forearm, along with the fatal stab wound to his chest.

“The incident unravelled in just a few minutes, enough time for decisions to be made by Allerton and Quinton which ultimately led to the murder of this 27-year-old man.

“Allerton’s actions on that day took the life of another person, Quinton’s actions resulted in a manslaughter conviction, and neither of them considered Zelous’ life during this incident and have since continued to put his family through the turmoil of a trial.

“Neither have shown any remorse with regards to the loss of life caused by them that day.

“Today will not bring back Zelous Smythe for his family and friends, but I hope the conclusion with this sentencing will start the healing process for them.”

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notify of