CLARK KENT may be in trouble should he ever visit Wokingham: the reporter who relies on phone boxes to transform into Superman could have fewer to use.
Phone provider BT has launched a consultation over six of the kiosks it is proposing to remove, and said that one of them – at the junction of Holt Lane and Reading Road in Wokingham – was not used at all last year.
The boxes could be kept as they are, adopted by local groups or removed altogether.
Notices have been placed at the affected locations, encouraging people to respond.
The boxes and the number of calls last year
- Lower Earley shopping centre, off Kilnsea Drive, 58 calls
- Junction of Hearn Road and Drovers Way, Woodley, 144 calls
- Junction of Welford Road and Headley Road East, Woodley, 60 calls
- Junction of Baslow Road and Reading Road, Winnersh, 33 calls
- Junction of Reading Road and Emmbrook Road, Wokingham, 60 calls
- Junction of Holt Lane and Reading Road, Wokingham, 0 calls
Submissions can be made by emailing Community.Engagement.Localities@wokingham.gov.uk by Friday, February 14.