You’ve had your beautiful extension designed by your architect, you’ve managed to achieve full planning permission, and now you need to find a builder.
HOLD YOUR HORSES.
There’s some preparation that needs to be done before that next step.
At Design Work Studios you’ll hear us use the term ‘tender process’ to refer to the process of obtaining quotes from a number of build contractors. The reason for getting multiple quotes is to enable a competitive comparison.
But of course, we want to make sure we’re comparing apples with apples…
Which means the information given to potential builders needs to be as detailed and accurate as possible.
Certain documents need preparing prior to starting the tender process:
- Detailed drawings: Your architect’s technical drawings, and Building Regulations drawings.
- Engineer’s structural calculations and details: This allows new structural elements to be coordinated with the existing, and to meet required standards.
- Engineers drainage designs.
- Scope of Works, which includes specifications of specific products. This part informs the builder how the project should be built and priced.
- Any additional information available: Any knowledge of existing foundations, existing drainage, planning approval condition documents, party wall agreements and soil test results.
“But wait, you said there were SIX steps?”
Now you have all the documents together…
- Choose three builders to request quotes from. More than that can make things confusing, less doesn’t give enough options. Consider recent reviews/recommendations, check they have the appropriate insurance and a decent credit score, and make sure you get on with them – they’ll be around your place a fair bit if they get the job!
If you don’t want any nasty surprises, make sure the groundwork is done first. Detailed information = more accurate build quotes = a happier project!
Come meet us at Inspire Design Home Show! Saturday October 12, 10am-4pm at Wokingham Town Hall. Tickets from inspiredesignshow.co.uk
This is sponsored content