I always say this, and I am sure you have heard it from me before but … what a week.
An unbelievable amount of fun.
An unbelievable amount of laughter and giggles.
An unbelievable amount of family time.
The Hunts were on holiday and we loved it. It was only a short one this summer due to our latest arrival, Bella, being born but WOW, was it great. You cannot put a price on family fun and family time and this one didn’t disappoint.
The location was amazing, the hotel could have been better, but the company was world-class.
It’s also scary to think that the school holidays are nearly over.
Our daughters go back to school this week and it’s crazy to think that the six weeks has flown by.
It didn’t seem long ago that the girls were saying bye to their teachers and collecting all their belongings. It also didn’t seem long ago that Bella was born but she is now nine weeks old. Where have those nine weeks gone then?
Before we move onto this week’s awesome content, please review the habits I selected from last weeks article. If you remember, they were plucked from my upcoming book, 365 Habits to Skyrocket Your Mind, Your Body and Your Life:
- Create positive change by creating a positive environment
- Carry out weekly willpower exercises like waiting for food longer
- Turn all problems into opportunities
- Create a positive mantra or affirmation and recite out loud each day
- When on the phone, stand up and walk around, try not to sit
- Conduct a weekly bank balance of your body and your activities
- Listen and be present as often as possible … test yourself every day
- Ask questions as much as possible, show interest in others
- Say Yes to an opportunity and figure out how you will complete the task later
- Be spontaneous and do something others do not expect of you … feel empowered
- Conduct a core bracing exercise every day … a strong core means a strong person
- Explore a S.W.O.T Analysis of your life and find opportunities for advancement
- Make posture work and rear deltoid / back work a priority no matter your goal
- Do 100 kettlebell swings a day. Fifty in the morning and 50 at night
- Become an expert in selective attention – focus on your priorities
- Find out your zone of peak productivity and then block all important tasks here
- Live by the ethos – The more one knows, the more one achieves
- Show up for work and be the person known for limitless enthusiasm
- Do what’s right rather than what’s easy
- Release endorphins by conducting movement drills every morning … mobilise your body
- Chip away at the Ordinary and build on the extraordinary
- Life is like a card game, there’s the hand you’re dealt and then there’s how you choose to play it.
Remember, even just starting with one of those habits for a week will propel you forward. Imagine how you will be feeling and behaving when you are using multiple habits and they become automatic … life-changing stuff.
So, this week I want to talk to you about something I am passionate about – that is smiling.
Smiling is amazing for us and the people we come into contact with. After being away last week with my family, it was glaringly obvious yet again to see the effects that smiling has on you and everyone you interact with.
Without going too deep into the science, in our brains, we have something called MIRROR NEURONS. These neurons are brain cells that react both when a particular action is performed and when it is only observed. Using various tests and awesome technology based on neuroscience, scientists were able to explore the areas of the brain that are activated when we smile. When we see someone smile, mirror neurons stimulate our own smiling. Cool or what?
Our interactions impact other people.
Our facial expressions can impact someone else’s emotions.
There is a famous quote that says, “Smile and the whole world smiles back at you”.
How good does it feel to know that just by smiling, you can not only make yourself feel better and happier, but you can also make someone else feel better and happier too?
It is no coincidence that last week, I smiled more, and my wife and children smiled even more too. One simple action … one huge impacting result.
Today, I want you to do three things and they are:
- Look in the mirror upon waking and smile at yourself for 60 seconds non-stop. Your cheeks will probably tire and your laughter lines will deepen but do it anyway. Look at yourself and smile, it really is quite a fun task.
- Affirm “I am happy, I am smiling, and I am a joy to be around”. Affirm these 10 times at three points throughout the day. It doesn’t cost a penny but can instantly raise your mood and make you feel grateful and happy.
- Smile at people when you talk to them. In fact, go over the top, really smile, really try and get the other person to smile back. Remember, mirror neurons are active in the brain so try and activate those in someone else.
Pretty simple correct?
Could you do those three things today and maybe even tomorrow too?
A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.
Use your smile to change the world, don’t let the world change your smile.
And remember, a smile is the prettiest thing you can wear.
Have a fantastic week, be awesome, get implementing and get smiling.