This pate is umami rich and very easy to make and a great way to use up mushrooms. Serve with fresh crusty bread or toast with butter.
- 300g Mushrooms of choice roughly chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ Red onion finely chopped
- 30g Butter
- 4 TBSP Rapeseed or Olive oil
- 2 TBSP Spiced Rum or Brandy
- 100g Mayonnaise or 150g Cream Cheese
- Sea Salt and White Pepper to taste
Melt the butter gently in the oil. Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic and stir fry until they have softened and the mushroom juices have evaporated. Stir in the Brandy or Rum with a large pinch of salt and white pepper and stir well. Place in a jug with the oil and any residual juices. Leave to cool. Add the mayo or cream cheese and blitz smooth or coarse as you prefer. Refrigerate for an hour to let the flavours develop and taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Capers, cornichons and parsley go well to serve.