Newbury Ladies 3-1 Woodley United Ladies: Kestrels defeated by league leaders

Woodley United Ladies

United were a shadow of the team that played in the last two games and fell to defeat to a Newbury side that defended in numbers and were effective on the counter attack punishing Woodley with two second half goals to go top of the league table.

However, the match started so well for the visitors with Rosie Page-Smith seeing her cross from the right go across the goal area evading two oncoming team mates. Woodley did take the lead in the sixth minute. Rebecca Gooch’s cross found Freya Jenkins who close range shot was blocked by home keeper Erin Davis-Dunne to rebound back into the path of Jenkins and then into the net from a few feet.

Although Woodley continued to enjoy possession they struggled to fashion any chances which was not helped by the stop start nature of the half. 

The twenty fifth minute saw Newbury demonstrate their quickness on the break which resulted in Carly Chilton pushing a long range shot away for a corner. From the resulting kick Molly Baker headed the equalising goal.

The closest Woodley came to scoring came in bizarre fashion five minutes into stoppage time when a Newbury defender was forced to clear off her own line for a corner kick when a team mate’s back pass evaded Davis-Dunne.

The second half saw the visitors start positively with Jenkins making a good run only to shot wide at the far post. Newbury again reminded Woodley of their ability on the break that required Chilton to punch a corner clear and three minutes later push Tracey Beales’ shot from distance away for a corner. 

Davis-Dunne was called upon to tip Ellen Surtees’ free kick over the bar and from the resultant cleared corner Newbury’s Gabby Da Silva received the ball in midfield and ran at the United defenders before passing to Beales who struck the ball from distance just inside Chilton’s right hand post.

Woodley responded immediately with Haines seeing her shot blocked by Davis-Dunne and Jenkins again showing good close ball control to fire into the side netting.

The game was ended as a contest with fifteen minutes remaining when Da Silva was allowed to turn while in possession and score inside the upright.

Woodley United Ladies: Chilton, Hunt (Wilkins), Scott, Pearson (Penny), Surtees, Stringer (Lambourne), Haines (Tripp), Gooch, Page-Smith, Thomas, Jenkins

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notify of