Reading Executive Howe calls for patience over transfers

0
Jose Gomes
José Gomes arrived in December

READING’S Chief Executive Nigel Howe says that fans must remain patient over the club’s summer transfer activity. 

It has been previously reported that Royals are currently operating under a ‘soft transfer embargo’ from the English Football League which would require the club to get permission from the EFL before they are allowed to make any incoming signings.

“At the end of last season, we knew that we had some trials and tribulations with too big a squad, and the manager wants to reduce the squad size,” said Howe.

“It has been quite slow in the marketplace so we haven’t moved as many players as quickly as we’d have liked, but we have the commitment to do this.”

Reading have yet to bring in any players this and have only seen one player sold – 22-year-old goalkeeper Lewis Ward leaving to join League Two side Exeter City.

Several players departed after the conclusion of the 2018/19 season with their contracts having expired as former captain Paul McShane, the retiring John O’Shea and also Anssi Jaakola, George Legg, Joey van den Berg, Danzell Gravenberch and Callum Harriot all left the club.

John O’Shea

“If everybody is patient over the next few weeks, you should see the same sort of traction that you had in the January transfer window- which will allow us to move forward and bring in the players we need,” Howe continued.

The Royals senior team returned to pre-season training on Monday, July 1, as the squad prepare for their upcoming two-week summer training camp in Spain.

Jose Gomes had previously stated at the end of last season his intentions to overhaul the squad in order to help the club not only comply with financial fair play but also to be able to bring in new additions.

“I have a clear picture of which players we must move on and which players we should bring if we can,” said Gomes.

“It’s step by step, and first we must move the players and find space to bring in our targets. I already know which players I would like to bring.”

The Portuguese manager also reiterated his concerns about the potential limitations that Reading might face during the transfer window at the end of the last campaign, but remained positive that the club could find solutions.

“I’m excited for next season but also concerned about the limits of where we can work because of financial fair play. Hopefully we will find the financial solutions to bring players with quality to let us fight for the play-offs.

Jose Gomes is still looking to trim his squad

“I really want to build a squad and team to fight for something important. We must be creative and work with the conditions we have to fight for something better but we cannot create the wrong expectations.”

Reading kick off their Championship league campaign on Saturday, August 3, when they host Sheffield Wednesday at the Madejski Stadium in what could potentially be a new-look Royals side.

Several senior players are likely to depart before the transfer window shuts on Thursday, August 8, while the club may be likely to promote from within to save money on transfers with a host of exciting youth prospects.

Leave a Reply

avatar

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of